Sunday, August 1, 2010

materialism

I've been thinking a lot about all of the things I own and what really makes me happy.
Yesterday I finally went to rehearsal for our concerto concerts coming up. I hadn't really been excited about going, because I was feeling a little bitter over past events, but there is something magic about music that makes me happy. I had to sit next to a great cellist and he was a bit intimidating, but making music with other people is liberating. It's like sensory explosion sometimes.

Although I'm a clothes horse, I'm also planning on forgoing my usual spending habits on clothes and saving up for a camera instead. The one I have right now is really my father's, so I don't have access to it all the time. And while I love my film camera, sometimes I need the satisfaction of knowing I got the shot that I wanted. So I'm going to be putting aside some of my allowance to save for that, especially since I'm going to be traveling a lot next year!

So no more new clothes for a while, I'll just work with all the amazing materials I have already. I want to spend more time being with people and spending money on experiences instead of having the latest trend. I feel like I've been locked in my house for days and I need to get away, have more adventures, do something with my life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh c'monn we totally had adventures in Seattle! That will be on of my favorite memories of this summer! :) And good for you, saving and prioritizing! I'm trying to do the same. It's really humbling when I think about all the people who have like a quarter - or of course, less than that amount - of the amount of clothes I own. And I just keep wanting more, so I must stop! I try to buy clothes only when I really need clothes. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, and our adventures made me want to have even more! so it's inspired me to do something better with my money than look good. haha

    ReplyDelete