Yes, it's an Ivy League; yes, that makes it prestigious, but that's not why I loved it so much. Even on a dreary day, I wanted to be there. The tour guide gave so much history about the university, and the buildings were gorgeous. Unlike Yale, which I'll get to in a couple of days, Princeton felt like home. People didn't seem as pretentious as other Ivies I've visited--I just felt like I could fit in. It's a suburban setting with an Ave type area right outside the campus gates, perfect for going out and getting a bit of ice cream when I'm stressed. :) And of course, the courses at Princeton are top notch, and the tour guide, who is a rising sophomore, really convinced me that the professors are willing to get to know you well and give you personalized attention despite the larger size (though it is probably still considered small, since it is under 10,000). Princeton encompassed what I really wanted in a campus--not too big, but full of history and great architecture; good classes and teacher:student ratio; suburban setting. I was constantly in the back of the tour group taking pictures of the intricate work on the buildings, which I take as a sign of how much impact the school had on me. It's quiet, but not so quiet that I feel out in the boonies. So sad that the college is so selective though...
Princeton Statistics:
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
Students: 7,494 (5,044 undergrad, 2,450 grad)
Acceptance Rate: 9-10% (eek!)
Setting: Suburban
Cost: $49,830 (ala forbes.com)
frist campus center. apparently the front side of this building is used in the opening credits of House.

"the mother of all triangles"

princeton has so many cool arches, as well as a intricate staircases.





the heads on this cathedral represent the architect (a yale alum) and his assistant.


frank lloyd wright's favorite building


ironically, the architecture building is, and i quote, "the ugliest building on campus. one time an architecture professor came on the tour and heard that, and now architecture students often call the tour guides the ugliest people on campus. this is all, of course, slander on their part"--matt, the tour guide

our tour guide with the school mascot, the tiger

hibiscus flowers in the beautiful garden.

after our lovely tour at princeton, we headed off to fishkill, which is in proximity to poughkeepsie, ny. we had a nice italian dinner at a restaurant in the town. It reminded me of Italy...afterward we walked around a bit and I took a couple of pictures.



if anyone can get into princeton, it's you! i love looking at all your pictures, btw.
ReplyDeleteyou have a better chance at getting in than most people, that's for sure.
ReplyDeleteas much as this style of architecture is not appealing to me, i love frank lloyd wright's favorite building.
it seems like all the schools i have visited, the arch building is the ugliest! princeton's sure is prettier than cal poly. :P of course, from what i have heard the arch students spend so much time inside, it doesn't much matter how it looks outside. Haha.
love your pics as always and i wouldn't be surprised if you got in to princeton. :) i know you can do it. i feel like princeton would have a super pretentious-y campus feel, but i'm glad it doesn't!! now i'm thinking about adding it to my list again. '-'
ReplyDeletethanks guys :) jamie, i think that as long as you're passionate about a subject it doesn't really matter what the building looks like. it is rather ironic though, haha. and i didn't think i'd like the whole gothic architecture, but it started to grow on me.
ReplyDelete