Monday, April 4, 2011

a new beginning

it's been a weird couple of weeks. I started out March with high hopes for acceptance letters, thinking that if all my other friends got into their dream schools, I would too. I forgot that my dream school was a reach even for the best scholarly candidates. So I got into three schools, got waitlisted at one I really liked, and then rejected by the last three, supercompetitive schools.

Of course I faced initial disappointment. I thought that I was a strong enough candidate to at least get into my target schools. But in a way, having only three choices is a blessing in disguise. The experience humbled me, and I'm also learning that the acceptance rate does not make a college good or bad. So while it was tough to see others get accepted to Princeton, Brown, Amherst, and Vassar, I know that in the end everything will work out fine, and that I'll receive a great education no matter where I go.

It's interesting when you put things in perspective, too. I talked with my friend at UW recently and he told me about kids who were the only people in their class to get accepted and attend the UW--something that we here at IHS take too much for granted. And really, at the schools I have the opportunity to attend, I'll have a multitude of options to get involved, perhaps without getting as stressed about academics and perfection.

Remember, "Today is only a good day in disguise." And I can't wait to start a new journey.


p.s. outfit posts soon (hopefully). I just bought some new clothes and I can't wait to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment